You need to know what kinds of solar supply kits and gear are worth buying if you are ever in a grid-down situation.
Grid Failure? Oops! Get Solar!
The vast majority of people completely depend on the national power grid to supply them with electricity to power the various amenities they require. National grids are not always dependable, as was experienced in 2021Texas grid down crisis. Below is some solar gear worth buying for your survival prepping.
Please note that this post contains affiliate links, meaning I will get a small commission for qualifying purchases at no extra cost to the buyer.
5 X 2200W AC Outlets, Solar Generator for Outdoor RV Camping, Home Backup, Emergency Preparedness
- [Powerful Home Backup & Portable Power] With built-in 5 X 2200W (3000W with P-Boost on), Pure Sine Wave AC outlets, and up to 3 USB C charging ports 100W max.
- [Longer Lifespan. Stabler Performance] With intelligent temperature control, EV semi-solid state LiFePO4 batteries can keep stable and safe. Use and recharge DBS2300 more than 4500 times (extra 500 with BMS system) before hitting 80%, almost 15 years of regular use.
- [Expandable Power Capacity] Easily expand the 2330Wh capacity battery power station. Link two extra batteries to get a massive 8330Wh.
- [4 Fast Ways to Recharge] The AC input features 1800W Max, recharging your DBS2300 to 98% in about 1.5 hours. The solar input supports 3000W Max endless green power that can fully charge DBS2300+2DBS3000B in about 2.5 hours. You can also use a 12V/24V car charger on the go or a generator charger (extra adapter needed).
- [15MS EPS Auto-Switch] With a switchover speed of less than 15ms, you won't even notice your power is low. Use the DBS2300 as an emergency power supply for overnight outages to keep your appliances running.
- [What You Get] Dabbsson DBS2300 Portable Power Station, 1X 200W solar panel，1X1800W AC Charging Cable, 1xSolar Charging Cable, 1xCar Charging Cable, and friendly local customer service.
The grid could go down anytime due to mishaps, bad weather, and other factors, leaving millions without power. You probably rely on electricity for many things, including cooking, food storage, and communication with loved ones.
If there is a prolonged grid failure, you can help ensure that you don’t lose out on essential aspects of your life by having a variety of solar-powered appliances. There is a wide range of solar equipment, from small electronics to installations that cover the entire house.
I found a favorite place for solar. It has everything you need at Shop Solar Kits!
Complete Off-Grid Solar Kit - 4,000W 120/240V Output [2.4kWh-5.2kWh 12V Battery Bank] + 3 x 200W Mono Solar Panels | Off-Grid, Mobile, Backup [RPK-MAX]
Experience flexibility and customization with our Remote Power Kits [RPK]. These solar kits were designed for those seeking a more traditional and customizable solar solution, with simple components and both lithium and AGM battery options (a budget-friendly alternative to lithium).
While these solar kits are not designed to sell power back to the grid, they can handle solar, grid, or generator power to charge your battery bank.
Common Uses: Small cabins, sheds, shops, barns, tiny homes, small RV's, mini home backup and more! And easily expandable in the future, you can add more batteries and solar panels.
This solar kit can run everything from lights, appliances, and tools to well-pumps, dryers, air conditioners, and more.
Each kit includes all the cables, connectors, adapters, diagrams, guides, parts, and pieces needed to get up and running with quiet, free, and reliable solar power, all backed by our lifetime customer support (phone, email & chat).
[23.5kWh-30.7kWh Lithium Battery Bank] 24 x 400W Mono Solar Panels | Includes Schematic [OGK-PRO]
These all-in-one plug-and-play solar kits can hook up to solar panels, fuel/backup generator and/or utility power - So whether you're looking to run your RV, off-grid home/cabin, or for an emergency backup solar system, they were designed with versatility and expandability in mind.
Common Uses: Full-time off-grid living, standalone home backup systems, larger shops and outbuildings as well as remote or mobile applications like food trucks, construction sites, and even small industrial and light commercial needs.
Each kit includes all the cables, connectors, adapters, diagrams, guides, parts, and pieces needed to get up and running with quiet, free, and reliable solar power, all backed by our lifetime customer support (phone, email & chat).
In Survival Situations, Solar Lighting Increases Safety
It can be very helpful to have a reliable light source walking at night. If your electricity goes out, it can also provide you with a lot of comfort at home by enabling you to move around and perform tasks like reading.
Solar lights can charge in the sun during the day and turn on at night. They come in various designs, from flashlights to lanterns, and each may be more suitable for your needs, depending on the circumstances. See the LuminAID 2-in-1 Solar Camping Lantern and Phone Charger for a purchasing example.
For Camping, Hiking, and Travel - Emergency Light for Power Outages, Hurricane, Survival Kits - As Seen on Shark Tank
- EXTRA BRIGHT SOLAR LANTERN - With 300 lumens of LED light and multiple brightness settings, including Red Light mode and Turbo mode.
- ULTRA-PORTABLE & COMPACT ALL-IN-ONE - This device is a solar-powered phone charger, expandable camping lantern, and backup battery all in one. Only 12.5 oz! It expands into a 6" cube with its unique Twist-to-Inflate design and packs down to 1" thick.
- SOLAR OR USB RECHARGEABLE FOR CONTINUOUS LIGHTING - Titan's larger solar panel fully recharges in 16-20 hours of direct outdoor sunlight (approximately 2-3 days, depending on location and time of year) or 4 hours by USB (cord included).
- LONG BATTERY LIFE - Equipped with a 4000 mAh built-in battery to recharge most phones 2-3 times and provide approximately 100 hours of light on Low mode when fully charged.
For example, lanterns are excellent for lighting up larger areas and camping sites. Typically, they emit light from all sides, allowing people in their immediate vicinity to see clearly.
Solar-powered flashlights and headlamps are typically preferable for one person navigating in the dark. They have a narrower light beam, which makes them ideal for properly following a trail at night.
Intrinsically Safe, Multiple Lighting Modes,| Long Lasting Emergency Light, Class-Leading, Batteries Included
- EXTREMELY VERSATILE: Our multi-output design varies between 185, 65, and 10 lumens to prepare you for any situation. Beam range extends as far as 63 meters, with a peak beam intensity of 1,000 candles.
- WATER RESISTANT: IPX4-rated water-tight and weather-resistant design. Drop-resistant up to 1 meter. Perfect for any job site or emergency.
When attempting to navigate on foot, having light is crucial. Even on a trail created by humans, it is very easy to trip over tree roots or step on dangerous things like scorpions at night. In the absence of the Moon, this is even more crucial when it may be completely dark.
You can install indoor outdoor solar lights that turn off during the day to charge, then turn on and remain lit all night. This may serve to deter would-be intruders.
Automatic solar lights are great because they are rarely broken and don’t need to be connected to anything. You will merely need to change the lightbulb because all processes are automated occasionally.
Stay in the Loop with Solar Radios
Radios are used to inform the public of what to do, where to go, and what is happening during most emergencies. You can stay safe by using this practical information.
The 10000mAh NOAA Emergency Weather Radio also has a hand crank. It has a rechargeable power bank phone charger. It can charge two phones and has a 3-mode flashlight, 5W 700LM reading lamp, SOS, and a compass for outdoor survival.
Dynamo Phone Charger, 700LM LED Flashlight and Reading Lamp, SOS, Type-C, Compass
- 📻[10000mAh Large Capacity, Double or More than Average 𝗘𝗺𝗲𝗿𝗴𝗲𝗻𝗰𝘆 𝗥𝗮𝗱io] 2023 model solar crank radio; super large capacity 10000mAh rechargeable Li-polymer battery; fully charged in 8 hours w included type-C cable. Dynamo emergency charger for more than two phones.
- 📻[NOAA W𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿 Radio, AM FM with Tuning Indicator] Slide the button to switch.
- 📻[4 Power Sources, Never be Inoperable for Lack of Power] Power via hand crank, solar, rechargeable battery, and type-C charging cable connection.
- 📻[3 Modes Ultra-Bright 5W 700LM LED Flashlight & 5W 700LM Reading Lamp] The flashlight has 3 mode settings far beam, dipped beam, and mixed beam.
- 📻[Emergency Crank Charger and 5 Battery Status Indicators] 1M type-C charging cable.
- 📻[Loud 115dB SOS Alarm & IPX4 Waterproof & Compass & Hand Strap for Easy Carry]
In a weather emergency, particularly a tornado or a hurricane, you will typically see people using handheld radios. However, given that the stations have their own backup generators, they would still be used in the event of another emergency.
As a result, you should be able to listen to the radio to get updates on the situation, even if the grid goes down for a prolonged period. Since the Internet would not function, that would be your only source of information.
Because you wouldn’t use a solar radio constantly, it should last a long time between charges. You should be able to charge it while using it and moving, whether in a car or on foot.
If you can live without it, you might decide against using your radio as entertainment, especially if it’s late at night or a cloudy day. You wouldn’t want the battery to run flat and be unable to recharge it.
But that doesn’t mean you should never use it for music. Music can make a difficult time much easier, especially if the grid is down for a long time, and you can easily charge your device daily.
The MOS Faraday Duffel Bag completely blocks all wireless signals and is the only one on the market equipped with a detachable MOLLE-based Faraday pouch.
This system provides versatility in shielding by allowing the user to open the central duffel cavity while not compromising the shielding of separate devices in the MOLLE Faraday pouch or vice versa.
When separated, the pouch can be attached to any pack with MOLLE webbing, a feature designed particularly for military operators. The durable, water-resistant ballistic nylon outer materials ensure the longevity of the bag and the devices inside.
The duffel has two load-bearing padded handles, a detachable shoulder strap with metal hardware, MOLLE webbing, an unshielded zipper accessory compartment, and a transparent branding pocket. The detachable pouch has two quick-snap straps that attach to MOLLE webbing.
The bag will block all wireless signals, including WiFi (2.4 & 5GHz), Bluetooth, cell signals including 5G networks, GPS, RFID, NFC, and radio signals with 90dB average attenuation from low MHz to 40GHz.
The duffel compartment is commonly used to shield large devices such as multiple laptops and electronic equipment, while the MOLLE pouch shields smaller devices like cell phones and GPS units.
Some solar radios even have an AUX port or Bluetooth capabilities, allowing you to play music directly from your phone or other device in case FM stations aren’t broadcasting it.
Look for a solar radio with the local emergency news stations pre-programmed. Some radios force you to cycle through every AM channel, while others have a separate switch for emergency news channels.
One benefit of a solar radio is that you can almost always find a charge wherever you go. Batteries can run out after some time, and it’s doubtful that you’ll find a wall socket to plug it into if you’re not at home.
Everyone can see the sun at some point, so you can charge it by strapping it to the back of your backpack while you walk during the day or by placing it on your car’s dashboard’s front.
Purchasing a high-quality solar radio will ensure that you have access to more information in a survival situation without power, information that could be lifesaving.
Charge Your Devices with Solar Power Banks
Given how many aspects of modern life involve electronics, it isn’t easy to envision a scenario where you’d have to go without electricity for weeks or months. It may nevertheless occur.
Due to the dependence of so many everyday devices on electricity, entire countries may be left without power in the event of an electric grid failure. It is, therefore, crucial to have some charging capabilities.
Almost any USB device can be plugged into a power bank that has been solar-charged to power it. This includes phone chargers, USB lights, and a plethora of other gadgets you might use daily.
If you have an electric razor that plugs into the wall via a USB outlet, the razor can be charged using a power bank instead!
The ability to use your phone is typically the power bank’s main benefit. Any power bank can charge a smartphone because all major phones use USB cords; some power banks even have wireless charging specific to phones.
Consider looking at power banks with fold-out solar panels if you want the fastest solar panel charging speeds possible. The more solar panels you have on your power bank, the quicker it charges. One set of panels is the Solar Charger 25000mAh, Fold-out Outdoor USB C Portable Power Bank with 4 Solar Panels
3A Fast Charge External Battery Pack with 3 USB Outputs Compatible with Smartphones, Tablets, etc.
- 25000mAh High Capacity: The solar power bank charges up 6-8 times for a cell phone and 2.5 times for a tablet, which is great for a week-long trip.
- Large Solar Panels: This solar charger comes with four high-performance solar panels that can reach 6W in direct sunlight to keep your phone up and running even in places without electricity.
- Fast Charging: With the upgraded 15W output, the portable solar charger can fast charge an iPhone to 50% in 30 minutes. One USB C port and dual USB A ports simultaneously charge three devices.
- Perfect for Outdoors: Built-in bright flashlight; Compact and easy to hang on your backpack to get sunlight, a must-have for various emergencies.
Generally, the less expensive solar power banks only have one fixed panel. The advantage of this is the weight and price difference, but the drawback is that using just one panel will result in very slow power bank battery charging.
When looking for solar power banks, you may not be familiar with the meaning of the measurement mAh (milliamp-hours). This is a measurement of the battery’s capacity for storage.
For instance, a power bank with 5000 mAh could charge your phone five times if it only needs to be charged for 1000 mAh. If that measurement is higher, you can charge more devices before running out of battery.
When selecting the power bank you want to purchase, you might want to consider size and weight. It might be helpful to have a smaller one to pack in a bug-out bag and a bigger one with a bigger capacity to keep at home. This Zendure Power Bank 10000mAh SuperMini portable charger, 20W battery pack, and quick charge 3.0 USB C is really cool. Talk about small!
20W PD USB C Battery Pack QC 3.0 Cargador Portatil External Battery for iPhone, Tablet, Samsung, Switch, and More
- 【Superior Portability & Compact*Lightning Cable NOT INCLUDED*】Supermini 10000mAh portable power bank, ultra slim suitcase design with metallic texture. 180g, smaller than a credit card, slip in your bag or pocket for daily use
- 【Outstanding Charging Function】 USB C PD external battery features pass-through charging function, which allows you to charge the battery bank while charging your devices. Also, the ports USB C/ A can charge two devices simultaneously
- 【20W Quick Charge &Power Delivery】20W PD input/ output USB-C port allows the portable phone charger to charge iPhone 14-8 to 50% in only 30 minutes. The USB-A port has exclusive ZEN+2.0 technology that supports almost all quick charge 3.0 compatible devices.
Due to the weight of some of the larger capacity power banks, these are preferable if you’re holed up at home with your family. Though they won’t last as long, the lighter, smaller ones are easily carried on the go.
Solar Cookers Can Be Used to Cook without Electricity
If you’ve ever touched metal exposed to the sun all day, you know that solar power can make some surfaces extremely hot. This idea has been widely used to develop solar ovens and cookers, which only require the sun to operate. See this GOSUN Fusion Solar Oven – Hybrid Electric Grill | Portable Oven & High Capacity Solar Cooker. How cool is that?
Portable & High Capacity | Indoor or Outdoor Solar Cooker | American Oven Camping Cookware | Survival Gear Powered by Sun or Electricity.
- Hybrid Solar Cooker: The Hybrid Solar Oven is 5x more efficient than a traditional electric oven. Portable camping stove is designed to provide insulation to keep the heat in and the cold out. It is so safe to touch that children can enjoy cooking.
- Temperature Range: The long-lasting vacuum tube camping cookware provides insulation to keep the heat in and the cold out. Electric outdoor oven, it takes only 20 minutes to cook a meal at a maximum temperature of 550 °F (288 °C) in full sunlight. You can also power it with electricity.
- Lightweight Portable Design: Sun Oven Camping Cookware has about 16 pounds of weight and consumes only 150 watts, so there are no dangerous flames.
Mirrored surfaces are used in solar cookers to focus the sun’s light and heat in one area. You could place a pot or pan there and wait. The pot or pan won’t take long to reach a temperature where you can cook almost anything.
A typical solar cooker design is a large mirror-like dish reflecting light into a central area where a stand supports a pan. This design does work, though proper alignment may require some setup.
The other standard design is a box with mirrored walls that similarly capture sunlight and heat the entire box like an oven. Contrary to the other design, which more closely resembles a stove, this cooks food like an over.
When you’re finished using these solar cookers, you should bring them inside and, if you can, cover them. The surfaces shouldn’t become dusty because if they aren’t clean and shiny, they won’t reflect light as well.
It’s important to remember that when using solar cookers, you should only use materials that can withstand the intense heat created by the sun’s rays being concentrated. Proper cookware is needed because materials like plastic will burn and melt.
Choose a darker pot, such as black cast iron, when choosing the right one. The sunlight will be reflected back onto shiny, light-colored pans, while dark-colored ones will absorb it.
If you cook with a dish, check that the pan is in the focal point occasionally because it will change as the sun moves across the sky.
Don’t leave your solar cooker outside. If you leave your cooker outside, absorbing the sun’s rays can cause it to heat up to a combustible level. It would be easy for something to catch fire if it were to get caught in the focal point.
Surprisingly high temperatures can be reached by solar cookers, which are sufficient to cook any food you may require, including meat. The only drawback is that regulating the temperature can be challenging, so you must monitor it.
Cooking without starting and maintaining a fire is a huge advantage if the grid goes down. They are very easy and intuitive to use once you get the hang of them.
Power Outages Are Stressful, but Solar Generators Ease the Strain
Consider a high-end solar generator like the Jackery Solar Generator 2000 PRO if you’re really hoping to disconnect from the grid and become totally self-sufficient in terms of power. Small lamps and large houses can be powered by solar-powered generators, which come in various sizes.
2,200W / 2,160Wh Portable Power Station + Choose Your Custom Bundle | Complete Solar Kit
Powers up to 8 devices simultaneously with a battery capacity of 2160Wh and an output power of 2200W. All round safety with industry-leading BMS and advanced smart screen.
Suited for Various Appliances
Jackery Explorer 2000 Pro powers all imaginable appliances, including hot plates, full-sized refrigerators, air conditioners, and more.
Superior Fast Solar and AC Recharging
It is fully recharged with 6 SolarSaga 200W solar panels in only 2.5 hours, 2 hours via an AC wall outlet, and recharged via a car port.
Up to 10 Years battery life
The Jackery Explorer 2000 Pro can last for up to 10 years (according to a frequency of using twice per week). It can be left on standby for over 365 days with 100% capacity, making it an extremely dependable emergency backup power supply.
Includes the Solar Generator Eclipse Kit - Eclipse Kits are solar generator kits paired with 1 x 200W folding solar panel. Eclipse Kits is top-rated for contractors, overlanders, glampers, and those looking for a lightweight, portable solar kit.
Eclipse Kits include a 12V car charger (cigarette lighter) for charging on the go, along with all cables, connectors, parts, and pieces needed to get up and running. Plus, a high-quality, budget-friendly portable solar panel.
Similar to a standard gas generator, these are to be used if power is lost and you need to switch to a backup. Depending on how much power output you need from the generators, these are available at various price points.
These generators typically have traditional wall outlets rather than just USB ports, which is one way they differ from small power banks. The number of devices plugged in could be greatly increased as a result.
A small solar generator can help run a lamp and a fan, for instance. If you lost power on a warm night and wanted to use a fan instead of the air conditioning, this would be great.
However, since they consume more power, devices like space heaters would require a larger generator to run. You could also easily use tools like chargers to keep your devices charged.
The EcoFlow DELTA PRO solar generator is the market’s newest, hottest solar generator. With a built-in lithium battery capacity of 3,600wH and 3,600W continuous AC output, nothing is quite like it today.
3,600Wh / 3,600W Portable Power Station Setup Complete Solar Kit | 5-Year Warranty
The DELTA PRO is the most powerful solar generator EcoFlow has ever released! This home battery system is designed to offer users complete power security and off-grid independence, no matter where you are. It contains an enormous 3,600Wh deep-cycle battery.
It is expandable, seamlessly connecting to multiple 3,600Wh expansion batteries for a mind-boggling total battery capacity of 25kWh!
This means the DELTA PRO can almost double the power storage capabilities of a Tesla Powerwall 2! The DELTA PRO stores an incredible amount of power and has some of the most advanced features of any solar generator on the market today!
One benefit of a portable solar generator over a gas generator is that it can be brought inside and used after charging. With a gas generator, you must keep it outside and run extension cords out through windows or doors.
Read this – 8 Ways To Generate Power Off Grid
If you want to be completely disconnected from the grid, you should consider purchasing a solar generator that can power your entire home. Installing solar panels in your yard or on your roof is probably required for this.
Get this Sol-Ark 12K 120/240V output Complete Hybrid Solar Kit. for your whole-house solar setup. It has a 19.2kWh lithium battery plus 12 x 400W solar panels.
12K + [14.3kWh-15.23kWh Lithium Battery Bank] + 12 x 400W Mono Solar Panels | Includes Schematic [BPK-MAX]
Power all of life's essentials with our Backup Power Kits. Designed for running essential everyday power needs, these solar kits feature all-in-one hybrid inverters, enabling seamless operation on or off-grid. You can recharge your battery bank with grid or generator power, ensuring long-term uninterrupted energy supply.
A hassle-free, plug-and-play backup solar power solution.
Common Uses: Home backup power, mid-size on or off-grid applications, standalone power systems for homes, cabins, businesses, and even remote or mobile applications.
You can keep your home operating normally for a while after the main power goes out by purchasing a house-wide solar generator. It will last longer if you are prudent and turn off unused appliances.
You won’t typically experience standard power losses because most power outages last only a few hours. But you’ll still be able to get electricity if the grid completely fails.
The bare necessities, like a refrigerator, can be run solely on solar power, though you may need to reduce and consolidate your electric use significantly. You could still live comfortably in such a dire survival situation.
Low-powered, compact solar generators have their uses and are simple to purchase online. They can be hidden away in a garage or closet. Large-scale generators (click for an extensive list) can greatly improve comfort, but they typically need to be used in an outside environment.
I’ve been scouring the web for information on solar and solar generators. Shoot me a comment below if you need assistance!
I’m the daughter of 2 original survivalists who moved from the north to sunny Florida. My mother, along with her parents, bought 30 mostly uncleared acres in 1938. The first home was made of pecky-cypress and built by a house-raising. My mother raised 10,000 chickens.
My divorced mother met and married my father in 1948. From pine trees on our property, he hand-built a log cabin. He also built a tarpaper-lined 65’x45′ pool with duck pond overflow. We had an artesian well for our water and powering our hand-built waterwheel for the pool. He built a substantial cantilevered roof workshop with a car pit in the massive cement floor.
Since my early teens, I have read a ton of books about survival, prepping, the bomb, an apocalypse, homestead living, and SHTF situations. As an adult, I continue to read sci-fi, survival prepping, and science. I practice a prepper lifestyle albeit a bit modified, read a lot, buy a lot, pack/store a lot of anything survival related.
Read my About Me post for more details on our self-sufficient living. I lived there until I went to college in 1968.
My SurvivalPrepperSupply.com blog strives to educate individuals on coping with natural and human-caused disasters using article posts about preparing for emergencies.